Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
With the trout season fast approaching I thought it best to get my act together and tie up some loose ends. I’ve been meaning for some time now to spend a day down the brook and do some tidying up along the banks. The winter has been some what kind so far with very few days of strong winds. But even with very little wind there has still been a few trees that have unfortunately failed and laid to rest in the brook. With a busy February ahead I knew that march would be here before I knew it. And with that the start of the trout season at the brook could be a failure with no work carried out.
Sacrificing a days fishing, I went and did some preparation for the coming season. Armed with a rucksack consisting of waterproofs, Camera and two flasks of coffee, I picked up the chainsaw and headed off into the woodland. I began my day with Clearing fallen trees and removing anything that was damaged along the banks which would eventually fail. Once done with that, I decided some key areas required a bit more light with the hope that this would promote fly life, so set about selectively thinning trees along the waters edge. With the odd break for a coffee and re-fueling the saw, the brook soon started to look cared for. Casting an eye over the water, I decided to try and narrow the brook in the places where the flow had become lazy and would eventually hold large areas of silt. Using the already cut up timber I made a few stakes and positioned the larger timbers behind these. The brash which was lay around was then used to pack out behind the timber which with time will collect leaf debris and other objects, eventually creating a silty barrier which will increase the flow.
With that it was time to call it a day. Hopefully the bit of preparation will reap rewards when the trout season starts.